• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Southern Brazilian state will have a Nintendo factory

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
(translated from Finalboss.com, click here for the original version)

The games division of Brazilian news website No Minimo reveals that the the State of Santa Catarina will have a Nintendo factory soon. According to a news clipping from the SC's government press room: ''[governor Luiz Henrique] also took a chance to announce the installation of a Nintendo factory, which will produce electronic games looking forward to an ambitious export program''.

If this is confirmed (after all, we're talking about an information provided by the state's governor), the probability of lower prices for the Brazilian consumers is high, given that both the Wii and DS would have local assembly; besides, in theory this maneuver would also make South American operations easier for the company.

It might not be awesome news for some readers, but for all Brazilians who pay very high prices for their consoles -- or try to import them, with no tech support and such -- this is quite a big move. The import company that represents Nintendo down here has a MSRP of US$ 1188 for the Wii, if the example serves you.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Funky Papa said:
GOOD GRIEF!

The sad thing is that most of this money isn't just for being money-hungry: the tax brackets for computer & video games here are downright insane. Companies like Microsoft and software developers are on a constant battle with the Brazilian government to re-study the taxes.

Here's another tearjerker for Brazilian gamers: our Xbox 360 pack (Premium + 3 Platinum Hits + faceplate) = US$ 1485. And no, we don't get the Core edition.

TheGreatDave said:
How much does the ****ing PS3 cost there?

Well, Sony NEVER got any official distribution here, it's always been through import stores. Some retail stores have them for around US$ 1700, though -- not to mention the black market, that definitely gets them cheaper :p

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Bungalow Bob said:
So the factory will produce both hardware and software?

I'd think so, yeah. At least I hope they also produce software -- legally imported Wii games cost at least US$ 80.

M3d10n

Heh? Need to check local news more often.

I'll wait and see. The odds of this becoming a mere governmental shenanigan which never comes to fruition is high.

There have been a lot of gaming-related stuff going on lately on the govern (i.e: "Game Development" is now a valid option when registering a company), but all of them are due to the president's son influence (he's supposed to be a gamer). It's unknown how long this can keep up.

Does Nintendo even produce their wares outside Asia, anyway?

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
M3d10n said:
Heh? Need to check local news more often.

I'll wait and see. The odds of this becoming a mere governmental shenanigan which never comes to fruition is high.

There have been a lot of gaming-related stuff going on lately on the govern (i.e: "Game Development" is now a valid option when registering a company), but all of them are due to the president's son influence (he's supposed to be a gamer). It's unknown how long this can keep up.

Does Nintendo even produce their wares outside Asia, anyway?

Some people are already associating this news about the factory to the meeting Nintendo had with Gamecorp (the President's son' company) had last March. Oh well, let's see how far this story will go. I'd think it's financially sane -- solving distribution problems and possibly reducing prices for a whole region? Awesome.

TJ Spyke

If it lowers the price so more people in Brazil can buy it (and also increase overall production of the Wii), then this is great. It must suck to be a legit gamer in Brazil (i.e. not buying illegal pirate games), the price of the Wii in Brazil before those super high taxes is about $280 (it's all those import taxes and sales taxes that drive it up to $1,100).

Wiitard

Banned
It got to be for Mercosul consumption. It would be extremely odd to build it all the way on the south of Brazil very far away from both the component suppliers and major consumer markets and be seriously aiming to export to US, EU or Japan.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Wiitard said:
It got to be for Mercosul consumption. It would be extremely odd to build it all the way on the south of Brazil very far away from both the component suppliers and major consumer markets and be seriously aiming to export to US, EU or Japan.

And the irony of it all is that Paraná, their neighboring state, is THE place to be if you want to buy it from Paraguay and smugg^H^H^H^H^H import it.

Wiitard

Banned
Jiguryo said:
And the irony of it all is that Paraná, their neighboring state, is THE place to be if you want to buy it from Paraguay and smugg^H^H^H^H^H import it.

Tell me about it. Paraguay, Brazil's largest shopping center.

Wiitard

Banned
the thoroughbred said:
So are any of the products manufactured at this plant, going to be shipped abroad, or are they only for the South America market.

I think it is extremely safe bet it is going to be only for the South America in the near future. As for later, it seems Nintendo is actually quite happy outsourcing their manufacturing. But they might make a couple for export into far away places because of local tax breaks. Not in the near future, though.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Wiitard said:
I think it is extremely safe bet it is going to be only for the South America in the near future. As for later, it seems Nintendo is actually quite happy outsourcing their manufacturing. But they might make a couple for export into far away places because of local tax breaks. Not in the near future, though.

Yep, producing it for Mercosul is pretty much what's going to happen, I think.

skybaby

So gamecorp is involved? Why am I not surprised after the last money swapping scandal... Nintendo getting with the times and the corruption schemes!
Wiitard said:
I have a feeling the tax breaks will be extreeeeeemely good (for the State side). Still, good news IMO. Perhaps as this involves the President's son's company, maybe they will get tax breaks on the imported parts too (which are federal taxes) which means actually good prices, as those taxes are the ones heavy loading the prices of the Xbox360 here.

g23

European pre-madonna
I just hope reggie comes to brazil and personally hands out over 9000 Wiis to teh children

loosus

Banned
Gonna be fun when the Brazilian workers see their boss shouting down to them from a podium.

boss_yelling.jpg

"Make them faster, gahdamnit! We needta send them to the U.S.A.!"

Damn, I remember taking my PS2 and giving it to my ex-girlfriend's brother when I went to visit them (they live in Sao Paulo) because their prices were retarded. I remember taking that PS2 to this mall and having it modded to play imports and other unsavory games for something like 200 reais (about $80). The prices there are ridonkulous.

I ended up getting a PStwo afterwards so it worked out for everyone.

skybaby

stewacide said:
Why on earth would the taxes be like that? What industry could Barzil possibly be trying to protect?
Its money laundry, corruption schemes, what else?
Signed, a pissed off company owner who pays over 50% of what he makes and 110% of an employee's wage in taxes.

good, so my state is gonna enter the videogame business...

i hope they change the tax system for videogames, otherwise, this will be only for exportation and we (99% of latin american gamers) will keep buying pirated software.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
skybaby said:
So gamecorp is involved? Why am I not surprised after the last money swapping scandal... Nintendo getting with the times and the corruption schemes!

As far as I'm concerned, Gamecorp's talks with Nintendo were regarding Big N's content for cellphones -- after all, they DO have that in Japan.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Jiguryo said:
(translated from Finalboss.com, click here for the original version)

It might not be awesome news for some readers, but for all Brazilians who pay very high prices for their consoles -- or try to import them, with no tech support and such -- this is quite a big move. The import company that represents Nintendo down here has a MSRP of US$ 1188 for the Wii, if the example serves you.

Wow. That's cool, I'm going to Brazil on vacation this week, and I was interested to see the gaming culture out there.

Rody

jstevenson said:
Wow. That's cool, I'm going to Brazil on vacation this week, and I was interested to see the gaming culture out there.

Where specifically are you going to?

The hardcore gamers in Brazil really have an extraordinary hard time when it comes to prices of gaming consoles and game libraries. I live in Brazil and I am a hardcore gamer, but this generation I just realized that I can't enjoy videogaming like I used to. The prices of consoles are getting extremely high...let me give an example of the price range of all 3 consoles.

PS3: 2600 - 4000 Reais
Xbox 360: 1800 - 2600 Reais
Wii: 1700 - 2600 Reais

Game prices range of 180 to 250 Reais.

Unfortunately, without mod chips you just can't sustain having a wide selection of games...let alone the prices of the consoles thenselves.

I, for example, of all next gen consoles, only have a 360. And although my desire for a PS3 is immense I just can't afford it right now....probably only in two years. This happens because of the import rates of Brazil on electronics and other stuff are unreasonably high.....The gaming community in here is just that screwed up!!!! Sigh....

stewacide

So Barzil is trying to get companies to assemble electronics in Brazil then? Well I guess Nintendo gave them their wish, although I suspect consumers are going to keep paying much more than they have to (i.e. why else would Nintendo 'cave' to this sort of protectionism if it wasn't going to be inordinantly profitable?)

I assume this also gets them into Mercursour (sp)

TJ Spyke

Brazil's goverment isn't making it easy for gamers who want to legally buy games (or electronics in general). If what I read is true, something like 90% of price of video game systems are things like import taxes. Most game systems are about the same price as everywhere else (Wii is about $280 pre-tax), but those import taxes drive it up.

laserbeam

Banned
Its very surprising to see Nintendo Opening a Factory in South America. Seems like a sign they are very serious about making sure they reach all areas. and as others have said Having Locally produced Systems should lower costs significantly as all the Import taxes etc wont apply.

Jiguryo said:
The sad thing is that most of this money isn't just for being money-hungry: the tax brackets for computer & video games here are downright insane. Companies like Microsoft and software developers are on a constant battle with the Brazilian government to re-study the taxes.

Here's another tearjerker for Brazilian gamers: our Xbox 360 pack (Premium + 3 Platinum Hits + faceplate) = US$ 1485. And no, we don't get the Core edition.

Well, Sony NEVER got any official distribution here, it's always been through import stores. Some retail stores have them for around US$ 1700, though -- not to mention the black market, that definitely gets them cheaper :p

Here in Peru (yes, next to Brazil) the prices for imports Wii's are US$ 350~ and DS lite's for around US$ 180(departement stores sells them for US$ 250, but that's a rip off). The prices in Brazil are insane!

I can't believe that there are worst places to buy consoles in south america other than Peru or Bolivia.

Gotta love Lula...

newsama

underfooter said:
Did anyone suggest that it may just be for cheap labour costs?
Yes, it is. And the news stated that the factory will only be exporting products, looks like they won't be producing for the brazilian market.

[...]ambitious export program[...]

116uq2e.jpg

- Sorry guys, you won't be picking games at a fair price. Not this time =/

Priz

Woo! Churrasco Cooking Sim for the Wii FTW! :lol

Seriously, though... I know the family who owns the best SF bay area Brazilian restaurant, they also run the local Capoeira school. Very nice folks, and the son and I talk about console games every time I go there. We never discussed how expensive consoles would be for Brazil, but I can believe it.

I hate to see people get gouged on prices, so hopefully this will help all the countries down there be able to have some affordable gaming.

Congratulations South Brazillian State, you now will have a factory that produces dreams and happiness! I don't think the same can even be said for the US, can it?

And this seems like an aggressive move for Nintendo. They must be trying to take over the world with Wii. Soon it will be renamed to Planet Wii, cars will ride on Wiils, and a famous kids show will be come the Wiiggles (or Waggles would work, too).

Top Bottom